FAQs CPD Carnets

What is a CPD?

CPD or ‘Carnet’ is short for Carnet de Passages en Douane. It is a document used to identify your vehicle and allows visitors to a country to temporarily import their vehicles for a limited period of time.

In Australia, these documents are issued only by the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) on behalf of the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

How long is a CPD/Carnet valid for?

A CPD is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.  This approved period may be extended on application. [email protected]

Does my vehicle need to be registered while travelling overseas?

Yes. It must be registered in the state or territory of Australia in which you reside, or in which you would normally register your vehicle.

Who can get a CPD/Carnet?

Anyone over the age of 18, with a valid Australian driver’s licence and a vehicle that carries a current Australian registration (for the duration of the trip) is eligible to apply for a CPD/Carnet.

How much does a CPD/Carnet cost and what do you get?

The total application fee for a carnet is $1420.00AUD. This incorporates the following components;

  • Application fee of $820.00 (non-refundable)
  • Bond of $500.00 (refundable)
  • Indemnity Insurance of $100.00 (non-refundable)

The application fee includes postage of your CPD/Carnet within Australia.  If postage is required overseas, surcharges apply.  The application fee also includes an AUS sticker or plate for your vehicle while travelling overseas.  

The bond is refunded when a fully discharged original CPD/Carnet is returned to AAA.

Indemnity insurance is provided through Miller Insurance. This enables the CPD/Carnet holder to take the vehicle out of Australia without having to provide a deposit of importation, duties and taxes in each country they visit.

Does the indemnity insurance cover my vehicle while travelling overseas?

The indemnity insurance cover is only for the temporary import into a country/countries.  This insurance is not motor vehicle insurance. Seek advice from your current insurance provider in regards to motor vehicle insurance. Some overseas motoring clubs offer some short term insurance for visitors.

How longs does it take to obtain a CPD/Carnet?

The usual processing time is 10 working days. If you require a carnet in a shorter period of time the AAA will do it’s best to meet your timeline however additional fees will apply.

What do I need to obtain a CPD/Carnet?

  • A completed and signed application for CPD. Download the application here.
  • A photocopy of the vehicle’s registration certificate.  This document must include the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), engine number, make, model and weight of vehicle
  • A current evaluation of the vehicle on letterhead from a reputable dealer (must include a valuation estimate and a statement from the dealer that the vehicle is considered roadworthy)
  • A colour photocopy of your current driver’s licence
  • A photocopy of your valid passport
  • A photocopy of your current state/territory motoring club membership
  • A brief itinerary of the proposed journey
  • Details of two (2) next of kin contacts in Australia who are not travelling with you
  • A list of spare parts/tools you intend to travel with and their value.

How can I obtain a CPD/Carnet?

To apply, complete the application and scan all documents detailed above. Attach all scan to an email and send it to:  [email protected]