All vehicles travelling on Australian roads are required to be covered by Compulsory Third Party CTP (bodily injury) Insurance.  This insurance covers physical injury to another person in an accident where your vehicle is at fault.  For insurance, which covers damage to property or your own vehicle, owners/drivers will need to take out separate insurance?

For States/Territories that require an Overseas Visiting Vehicle Permit (OVV), you must produce the following documents;

  • Current registration papers of the vehicle
  • The vehicle import documents, including a carnet or VIA
  • Your passport
  • Your driver’s licence and or/ International Drivers Permit.

The vehicle must have;

  • Working headlights (headlights on the left-hand drive vehicles must be modified to dip to the left)
  • Working tail lights, including stop and turn lights
  • Working windscreen wipers (if fitted)
  • Effective brakes
  • Seat belts (if fitted)
  • Child restraints (if fitted)
  • Good tyre’s (with minimum tread depth); and
  • No oil leaks

You will also be required to provide a contact address in Australia and overseas.

Once the vehicle has passed the inspection and payment of the applicable fee is paid, a OVV will be issued.

Specific CTP requirements may apply in each State/Territory.  Click the State/Territories below for requirements:

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales




South Australia

Western Australia

Northern Territory